Super Visa, Temporary Resident Permit, and Electronic Travel Authorization




Canada’s immigration policy aims to be welcoming to a great number of people, but a sad fact is that there simply is not a program available to everyone. Unfortunately, some people are not eligible for immigration to Canada via any of the streams available. Others simply aren’t interested in applying to become a Permanent Resident, but they may have children or grandchildren here that they wish to spend time with. Conversely, some foreign nationals are visa-exempt and simply do not need immigration advice, but they may still be required to present some form of documentation upon entry to Canada. If your situation fits into either case, and if you have a legitimate reason to remain in Canada for an extended period of time, what must you do?



Canada recognizes such scenarios, and there are options available that act as solutions to these problems:

  • An inadmissible foreign national may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)
  • Foreign national grandparents (and parents) who aren’t seeking permanent residence, but who may wish to spend significant time with their Canadian grandchildren (or children) can apply for a Super Visa
  • Visa-emempt foreign nationals can obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to grant them entry to Canada by air



Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)


If your immigration application has been rejected, there may still be options available to you. Depending on the circumstances, there may be remedies available such as appeals to the Immigration Appeals Division or the Refugee Appeals Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board. You may have a strong case for a Humanitarian and Compassionate application for Permanent Residence, or you may file for leave for a judicial review of your case. But what if there are legitimate inadmissibility concerns in your background that cannot be overcome? The TRP might be the solution for you, and Mansouri Firm’s experienced team can guide you through the application process.


*A TRP is not the same as the broad-reaching Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). For more information on the TRV, please see the TRV page in our “Services” section.


You should apply for a TRP if you are otherwise inadmissible but have a justifiable reason to travel to Canada. If a CBSA officer determines that your reason for entering or staying in Canada outweighs any health or safety risks to Canadians, you may be granted a TRP.



Super Visa


The Super Visa was introduced in November of 2011. It is essentially a long-term Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for grandparents who are seeking to visit their child or grandchild. The child or grandchild must be either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. There are a number of reasons that an older foreign national might not wish to apply for permanent residence to Canada, and similarly, it is increasingly difficult to qualify for permanent residency as one gets older. The Super Visa allows permanent resident/Canadian citizen children and grandchildren to effectively support a 10-year multiple entry visa that allows parents and grandparents to stay in Canada for up to 2 years per visit. If this seems like the stream that best suits your circumstance, ask the experts at Mansouri Firm how we can assist you in obtaining a Super Visa.


In order for an application for a Super Visa to be approved, the sponsor will need to meet the Low-Income Cutoff requirements, and you will need to provide proof of holding private medical Insurance from a Canadian company for one year. Please contact our experienced consultants for more details on what is required.



Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA)


An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is required from visa-exempt travelers to Canada arriving by air. It is a kind of pre-screening mechanism for visa-exempt individuals who might not otherwise have this screening done, and is meant to protect from those who might potentially pose a threat to Canadian society. It affects people from more than 50 countries who can travel to Canada by air without a visa, including the Australia, European nations, Japan and many others, at this point in time, foreign nationals of the United States do not require a visa or eTA.


With an eTA, a foreign national can come to Canada as often as he or she likes, and stay for up to six months at a time in most cases. An eTA does not guarantee entry to Canada. You will need to convince a CBSA officer of your identity, and that you will leave Canada at the end of your approved period of stay.




Why Work with Us?

The experts at Mansouri Canadian Immigration Services (or Mansouri Firm) are here for you. We are dedicated and attentive. Our aim is to help you understand your options, and to guide you along the complex application process ahead.  Every case is unique, so we make sure that we understand your personal situation. We have experience with a great number of immigration programs for Canada, and we will do our best to find the right pathway for you.

The details of your application are critical. The timelines involved in this process are also very important. The assistance of the experienced immigration professionals at Mansouri Canadian Immigration Services (or Mansouri Firm) will give you the peace of mind on two fronts: First, we will ensure that you understand the best immigration program options available to you. Second, you can feel certain that your application has been completed accurately, and meets every deadline. The consequences of even minor errors and/or inattention to detail can lead to results ranging from delays to having your application rejected permanently, so let Mansouri Immigration Services (or Mansouri Firm) assist you toward achieving your specific immigration goals.