Intra-company transferee

If you are the owner of a business, you can easily develop your project in Canada! Foreign companies with a branch or subsidiary in Canada can attract key employees from abroad to Canada through the Intra-Company Transferee (ICT) program. Both the owners and employees of such a company can enter Canada temporarily. One of the requirements is the opening of a new office (facility) in Canada and investment in the Canadian economy

Work permits received under this program are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Despite the exemption from the LMIA, workers and employers who use the Intra-Company Transfer program must comply with all regulations governing work in Canada, including obtaining a temporary resident visa, if applicable.

The ICT processing time in Canada varies from 1 month to 1 year, depending on the country the individual applies from.

Applicants must have at least one year of work experience with a foreign business and to do similar work for a Canadian branch.

There are three categories for the Intra-Company Transferee program:

  • Chief Executive Officers
  • Senior Managers
  • Individuals with specialized knowledge

Chief Executive Officers

These employees usually are those who run the enterprise, i.e. they perform the highest management duties in the company.

Senior Managers

Senior managers are employees who manage a part of the enterprise and supervise the work of other managers or professional employees.

Individuals with specialized knowledge

An employee who can demonstrate specialized knowledge of an enterprise product/service or an advanced level of knowledge in the company’s processes and procedures.

To be eligible for Intra-Company Transferee, the applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • full-time work in a foreign company for at least one year in the last 3 years;
  • have one of the three above-mentioned job positions in a company with a Canadian branch, subsidiary/parent or affiliate of the foreign company.
  • qualifying relationship. It means transferring to a company in Canada that has a qualifying relationship with the enterprise in which the applicant is or was working in the last 3 years
  • have intended to work for this position for 18-24 months

To be qualified, as “an individual with specialized knowledge”, applicants must:

  • show unique knowledge of the company’s services and its processes/procedures. This knowledge must be unique and necessary for the company and industry, received during the last 5 years.
  • show evidence that the proposed salary is higher than the current level for this profession

There are also some general company requirements under ICT:

  • in most cases, the company must provide a Physical Premise,
  • the company must demonstrate a realistic business plan,
  • the company must have financial resources to support the business.

The length of work permits

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires that work permits issued under the Intra-Company Transferee program are generally one year. However, this work permit can be renewed.

Immigrate as an Intra-Company Transferee

The Intra-Company Transferee program was not initially implemented as a direct pathway to permanent residency but allows individuals and their families to immigrate permanently after obtaining a work permit. Once you have it, your spouse automatically can apply for an open work permit! A unique opportunity to work in Canada, to be provided with free healthcare, education for children or dependents and many of the other benefits that Canada offers. After gaining the necessary work experience, you can safely apply for one of the many immigration streams.

To find out if you are eligible for this type of work permit and learn how Mansouri Immigration Firm can help you with your application, fill out our assessment form or contact us!